University of Mary Hardin-Baylor Residence Life Office
The staff of the Residence Life Office is glad to know that you are interested in a position as a Resident Assistant. The RA position is a very important part of the Residence Life Staff. As an RA, you will have an opportunity to positively affect the lives of others. The Residence Life Staff is made up of the Resident Directors (RD’s) and current Resident Assistants (RA’s). The people in these positions share a common bond of caring and respect for each other and for each resident. We are looking for people who are interested in sharing their leadership, spirit and enthusiasm for their school and their time with others.
RA’s act as supervisors of their floor/wing or apartment unit and, as such, gain valuable experience in organization, leadership, supervisory methods, and peer counseling in the area of conflict resolution. This experience may benefit you later in life and should certainly be added to your resume. All of these are valuable tools to develop regardless of your later role in life.
If you have any questions about this application or about the position, please feel free to discuss them with any member of the Residence Life Staff.
The deadline for submitting the RA application is listed below under the important dates section. You must complete the application and submit it to the Residence Life Office by the specified deadline date. Please type or print clearly and fill out every part of the application.
Each applicant must submit two reference forms (.doc), either in person or by e-mail. These forms should be given to individuals who are familiar with you and can comment on your leadership abilities, work performance, etc. It is appropriate to give these forms to past employers, pastors, faculty or staff members, or any adult who knows you well and has had an opportunity to observe you in various roles. Take a look at the reference form and think about who it is that can comment on the areas listed. Do not give these forms to another student or to an RA or to an RD. These reference forms are due back before you scheduled interview. Email the name and email of the person (s) you are wanting to complete the reference to Rebeka Retta at email@example.com. She will forward the reference to them including instructions on how to return the completed reference document back to the ResLife office.
Basic Requirements for the Position
There are certain basic requirements to be able to apply and be interviewed for an RA position. Be sure you meet those basic requirements before filling out an application:
- Have lived on campus for 2 semesters.
The semester you apply can be counted.
- Have a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.3
- Be in good standing with the university.
You cannot apply if, at the time of application, you are on academic or disciplinary probation.
- Each semester, you are required to be a part of RA Programs that are offered to your building or the UMHB community. This includes, but is not limited to, meetings each week, being an active participant on a subcommittee, etc.
Please note: As an RA, you may be asked to use good judgment about attending specific events or functions that may compromise your position as an RA. An example would be frequenting certain types of local clubs or bars.
- Feb 13 : RA Interest Meeting in BVAC, 221 @ 5:30 pm.
- Feb 15 : RA Interest Meeting in BVAC,221 @ 9:00 pm.
- Feb 24 : New RA Applications due in the ResLife office via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Feb 27-March 1 : New RA interviews. Once your application is received you will be contacted by the Residence Life Office to sign up for an interview time prior to these dates. Do not sign up for an interview until you are notified.
RA Interest Meetings
These meetings are designed to go over the entire RA applicaiton process answering any questiong you might have regarding the process. The meetings are repeat and are not required to be considered for a position.
After you submit your application by email, you will be contacted by a member of the Resident Life Staff by email to schedule your interview. The interviews will be conducted in the Bawcom Student Union, Conference room #4, 3108 .
The RA interview is a panel interview and the panel consists of the Associate Dean and Director of Residence Life and RD’s. You should dress appropriately for this interview as you would for any interview. For tips on interviewing, you can contact the UMHB Career Services Office in Mabee 212.
After all interviews are held, the RD’s will be given some time to make their decisions. You will be notified of the decisions as soon as they are made.
The compensation for RA’s will be titled “RA Scholarship” on the financial aid award letter. The position is no longer part of the student work program.
- Apartment RAs: Head RA (HRA) receives $3,250 per semester. Regular RA receives $2,250 per semester.
- Traditional Hall RAs: Head RA (HRA) receives $3,750 per semester. Regular RA receives $2,750 per semester.
Please note that a RA is not allowed to have a work study position as well as the RA position.
How To Submit Your Application
- Download the UMHB RA Application to your computer.
- Open the document, enter your information, and save it.
- Send an e-mail to email@example.com with the application document attached. The Academic Information Verification Form (last page of application) is the only item you will turn into the Residence Life Office, Suite 2220, Bawcom Student Union once it has been verified by the Registrar Office.
RA Applicant Checklist
- Have you completed your RA application
- Have you turned in your RA application and essay questions by the deadline?
- Have you responded to the email scheduling your interview?
- Did you hand out reference sheets in time for your reference to be turned back in by interview time?
NOTE: Please send Rebeka Retta an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your reference name and email address. She will send the form with a cover letter asking for the information.
- Did you take the Academic Information Verification Form to the Registrar’s Office and return it with your application packet?