Advent Devotional Guide Header Splash Image

Advent Devotional Guide

Cover of 2017 Advent Devotional Guide

Songs have been around us, for us, and in us for ages.  For example…

The Star Song:

“Upon what are its foundations founded? Or who laid its cornerstone; when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?”
~ Job 38:6, 7 

The Mother’s Song:

“My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior…”
~ Luke 1:46

Our Shared Song:

“Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.”
~ Colossians 3:16

The New Song:

“And they sang as it were a new song before the throne…” 
~ Revelation 14:3

A life without song would be like food without flavor or a world without color.  Songs carry and hold so much. If I want something truthful, beautiful, and good to stay in my soul, I do well to wrap it in a song.  Somehow, words stick to tunes and tunes stick to words and I remember both better when they are attached to one another. If I want to really know something, I should sing it!

The songs of Christmas stir our hearts and strengthen ties to God and to one another.  We celebrate the Greatest Story of All as we sing hymns and carols. These songs not only tell stories; they have stories.  Each selection has its own history that deepens its meaning and significance.

These songs are among the riches of the Kingdom that are the legacies from those who have gone before us.  They come from varied times, lands, and cultures.  What they have in common is that they are gifts that help us unwrap The Gift of Jesus, God-with-us.  I pray that the insights you read in the days ahead will add something fresh to the ancient story and quicken your knowing the One of whom we sing. 

Dr. Shawn Shannon,
Baptist Student Ministry Director

Growing in Christ, Giving in Service, Going to the World